Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When to comb natural/transitioning hair?

As a natural or transitioner combing our hair can be a daunting task. But through trial and error I have figured out when and what is best for my natural tresses.

The number one question people want to know is "how often should I comb my hair?" That is completely up to your lifestyle and what is convenient for you. I tend to only comb my hair when it is wet and saturated with a conditioner or moisturizer. NEVER comb your hair dry! Most likely you will end up with broken strands. Therefore, I only comb on wash days and if and when I co-wash. I can go days without combing my hair; finger combing is a great way to keep your hair presentable. Since I am hiding my hair under a wig, I have no reason to even comb my hair on a daily basis.

The only tool that you will really need to comb your tresses with the least amount of breakage would be a wide tooth comb(preferably a bone comb). A denman brush is also a great investment.

Less combing = Less manipulation = More hair retention=Long hair

Since I stopped combing frequently(I comb maybe every 2 weeks) this year I have retained so much more hair and I have experienced less breakage.
Find out what works for you but remember to always have your strands coated before putting a comb near it.

The best styles for not combing:
wigs
braids
updos
braid-outs/twist outs
wash and gos

picture source: images

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love combing my hair, i think i just like the way it feels lol but i agree i should start combing less and less. I also did a post on my blog about hair. Check it out when you get a chance.

    http://the-blisslist.blogspot.com/2009/12/i-like-way-you-move.html

    I'm following your blog : )

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template por Emporium Digital 2008

Voltar para o TOPO