Monday, July 27, 2009

Transitioning/Natural hair tips continued...

I was asked by a reader, if I had any tips for growing hair long. She is considering going natural(chemical-free hair) and asked if I had any tips on achieving long hair in the process.
Well, I did a post on the topic of natural hair and my journey so far to natural hair. It has been an incredible ride thus far.
If I had to type my hair, I would be a 4a/3c in the back. Hair typing is pretty lame in my opinion, because most people have an array of textures. It does allow you to understand your hair a bit better, but that knowledge will come with it or not. Check out curlyhairsalon for hair typing pictures and information.
My tips are still consistent to my previous post, Thinking About Going Natural. Keeping it simple is key. I don't do too much to my hair. I leave it alone and go on with my business.

My regimen is:
  • wash hair weekly- Preferably with a sulfate-free shampoo. Shampoos with sulfate tend to strip the hair of its natural oils.
  • deep condition- I usually deep condition using a heating cap for 30minutes to an hour. I currently have a heating cap but will probably invest in a Pibbs dryer soon. I have been slacking on this for the past month and I can already tell the difference
  • moisturize daily- my natural hair tends to get dry alot quicker then when I was relaxed. It drinks up moisture! Products that I recommend, raw shea butter or cantu shea butter
  • Vitamins- Biotin, castor oil, vitamin C, and multi-vitamin. Trying to get back to taking these daily. Not only for my hair but overall health.
My No-Nos
  • HEAT- I can't stress this enough, frequent heat will not only fry your hair if not applied correctly but will destroy your curls. I recommend flat ironing only 1-2times a week, preferably with a ceramic iron...NOT ceramic COATED
  • COMBING NATURAL HAIR DRY- You will rip your pretty hair. Causing breakage and thin ends. Please only comb and detangle hair when wet with conditioner
  • NOT WEARING A SATIN BONNET OR SLEEPING ON A SILK PILLOW CASE at night

See, I keep it very simple. I lack the time and energy for over the top regimens.
Some websites I would recommend that have an overload of helpful information are:

Long Hair Care Forum
Grow Afro Hair Long

I don't have any secret concoctions, but I will say that growing hair long is not a challenge. Find a regimen that works(might take some time) and have patience. Your hair will not grow over night. Any questions, feel free to contact me.

---Antoinette Whitaker

3 comments:

  1. I usually take care my hair because i consider we can project a good image specially when we have a meeting with our partner or when you need talking about some busines. Actually i am participatin in costa rica investment opportunities and i need to look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for good information about hair tips. i like it. good work keep it up!!!!

    Hair Extensions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chennaimoms.com social networking site for mothers, Get free e-book, useful information about natural home remedies for women and kids...Chennaimoms is a website for mothers, which provides best online health resources about natural home remedies ( beauty, cold & cough, weight loss, diet for a healthy pregnancy etc., )for kids and women.

    Wish you good health, each day, each moment and always!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template por Emporium Digital 2008

Voltar para o TOPO