Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wigs as a Protective Style

Wigs can be a great way of protecting your hair on your healthy hair journey. From the beginning of my hair care journey, I have used wigs to protect my tresses. They can have their cons but I do believe that the pros out way them.

Pros:
  • Different Diva everyday- One day you may want to rock a platinum blond short-do and the following week a black sleek waist length look. It is possible and easy to do this using wigs without damaging your hair.
  • Cost Effective- On average I spend about $25 on a synthetic wig, which will usually last me 2-3 weeks. Wigs are an easy way to save money on getting your hair done every week or bi-weekly.
  • Less manipulation- Wigs are pretty low maintenance and your natural hair will thank you for that. As long as you properly take care of your hair underneath your wig, your hair will flourish from the low manipulation and low maintenance.
  • Hair is protected from the elements

Cons:
  • Not all wigs are created equally- I would never want anyone to look a hot mess BUT there are some wigs that are just a straight up no-no. Be careful of extra thin, extra thick, or too shiny looking wigs. If you are going to wear a wig, I say the more natural it looks the better. Quality is very important when choosing a wig.
  • Breaking Edges- Wigs can do damage to your edges if worn for an extended period of time with no breaks. Also using the comb attachments can be detrimental to your edges. Instead of using the comb attachments, use bobby pins to secure your wigs. I suggest wearing your wigs 2 months on and 2 months off, to give your edges a break.

A few tips-
  • Try to wear natural styles for easier blending of your hair and the wig. You can do this by finger combing or braiding and twisting out your hair. This eliminates heat!
  • Why not baggy your hair under your wigs for extra moisture? No one can see it!
  • If you want a straight style, instead of flat-ironing...why not rollerset to smooth your hair? This once again eliminates heat use.
  • When in a rush or just plain lazy, I put a headband over my wig. It looks natural and its quick and easy.
  • Synthetic hair can be brought back to life. On my synthetic curly wigs I add a little mouse and brush it with my paddle brush. Tada! Just as pretty as when I first bought it. I can wear my curly wigs for up to 2 months sometimes!
Wigs have been my friend!





8 comments:

  1. just stumbled on your blog - you look amazing in those wigs. but why don't the synthetics last longer than 2-3 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Synthetic wigs aren't human hair...they are usually made of plastic and other fibers that can easily become a mess. You must take special care of synthetic hair. However I PREFER synthetic wigs over human hair ones. They keep their style, are cheaper, and can look very natural if applied properly. Also there are ways to bring a synthetic wig back to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of wig do you have on in your second pic? I love the way this looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer,

    I do not remember the brand but it is a human hair wig that I hot curled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. Do you remember what wig u had on your third pic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Based on your list, I say that the pro's do outweigh the con's. For my wife, it's also all about protecting her hair. She doesn't mind spending some money for synthetic wigs and Forever Young wigs because her hair is a top priority for her. She doesn't go out on a sunny day without wearing a wig. That's why whenever we bond during the night, her hair looks fresh and beautiful, and it makes me fall in love with her all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Wigs and Weaves can be great for naturals. I LOVE wigs as a protective style. I prefer to wear inexpensive wigs that look like as close to my natural hair as possible. I blog about natural hair also- and always have updates on the most natural looking wigs on the market. Check it out here!:

    http://napturalnicole.com/2012/12/10/wiggin-out-wigs-as-a-protective-hairstyle/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just been reading this post and i have really enjoyed it. Thanks for providing a great service on this blog. Wigs are the best solution that makes you feel like you have the perfect hair. I will be back for more!!!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template por Emporium Digital 2008

Voltar para o TOPO